H-E-B announced today that eight school districts and five early childhood facilities have been selected as finalists for the retailer’s 20th annual Excellence in Education Awards program. H-E-B is also recognizing five public school boards to highlight the importance of strong leadership at the board level.
Since the program’s inception, H-E-B has awarded more than $12 million in funding to benefit outstanding Texas public schools. This year, H-E-B will award a total of $82,500 to the finalists and school boards, who will go on to compete for even greater cash prizes at the statewide level. Each finalist in the district and early childhood categories, as well as the five recognized school boards, will receive $5,000; the three finalists in the small district category will receive $2,500.
To determine overall statewide winners, a panel of judges visits each district, early childhood facility and school board, tours campuses and talks with administration, staff, parents, and community members.
Winners will be announced at the H-E-B Excellence in Education Awards ceremony on April 30 at the Fairmont Hotel in Austin. The winning large district will receive $100,000; the winning small district $50,000. An early childhood facility will receive $25,000. If selected, one or more school boards will receive up to a total of $25,000.
Forty teacher and principal finalists will be announced in February and March during a series of surprise visits to schools and classrooms across Texas.
The 2022 school district and early childhood finalists, as well as recognized school boards, are as follows:
LARGE SCHOOL DISTRICTS
- United ISD —Laredo, Texas
- McAllen ISD — McAllen, Texas
- Pasadena ISD — Pasadena, Texas
- Klein ISD — Klein, Texas
- Wylie ISD — Wylie, Texas
SMALL SCHOOL DISTRICTS
- Medina Valley — Castroville, Texas
- Canutillo ISD — El Paso, Texas
- Kerrville ISD – Kerrville, Texas
EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION FACILITIES
- Lone Star Early Childhood Center/New Braunfels ISD — New Braunfels, Texas
- Bryan’s House – Dallas, Texas
- Melinda Webb School – Houston, Texas
- Austin Achieve Public Schools – Austin, Texas
- Small Steps Nurturing Center – Houston, Texas
SCHOOL BOARD FINALISTS
- North East ISD – San Antonio, Texas
- Alvin ISD — Alvin, Texas
- Allen ISD — Allen, Texas
- Frisco ISD – Frisco, Texas
- McAllen ISD – McAllen, Texas