H-E-B opened the new Buffalo Heights location Wednesday, October 9, further expanding the company’s inner loop footprint in Houston. The store anchors the new Buffalo Heights mid-rise project at Washington Ave. and Heights Blvd. (3663 Washington Ave) and marks the first H-E-B built in a mixed-use development. The brand new, 96,000 sq.-ft. store features expansive shopping options; covered, second-level parking; is equipped with elevators, escalators and a cartalator to easily navigate to and from the first-floor shopping experience, along with products and services tailored specifically for this historic Houston community.
Donna Theriot, a 28-year grocery industry veteran counting 13 years with H-E-B, will serve as General Manager of the new store. Theriot is a recognized leader among her H-E-B peers having received the 2013 Hal Colett Great People award, is avid about mentoring and growing new leaders, and is enthusiastic about supporting the exciting growth within the Washington corridor.
“I have always believed in the importance of people and relish the opportunity to serve and work with the Washington corridor community,” said Theriot. “While each H-E-B is special, my team and I have collaborated to create a truly unique store from its aesthetics to its contents. I believe the Buffalo Heights H-E-B shopper will find exceptional variety and phenomenal service here, not to mention a grocery source close to home.”
H-E-B Buffalo Heights is the first H-E-B store to receive a gold-level award from the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) GreenChill Partnership for green refrigeration technology. With this honor, H-E-B becomes the second retailer in Texas to have a store receive the gold award. As part of the GreenChill Partnership, H-E-B continues its path to adopt more environmentally friendly refrigeration technologies, strategies and practices that will reduce refrigerant emissions and their impact on the environment.
“H-E-B is proud to join this cutting-edge initiative, which further signifies our commitment to be strong environmental stewards, providing our customers with more than just a great place to shop. We want them to know we’re actively protecting the state we proudly call home,” said Winell Herron, H-E-B Group Vice President of Public Affairs, Diversity and Environmental Affairs.
AN ARTFUL ARRIVAL
As with H-E-B Houston openings at Bellaire Market and The Heights, the company continued its arts initiative with a permanent art installation, Sluice by Flying Carpet Creative. Sluice is a sculpture inspired by the fresh produce found in abundance at H-E-B and takes its name from an interesting hybrid citrus variety. A ﬂock of juicy disks ﬂies through the foyer, gushing from the origin on the wall: a mythical amalgamated future-fruit…maybe a citrus…a melon…or something else? Celebrating sustainability, the artwork is made with upcycled and repurposed materials. Although they could be mistaken for pieces of blown glass, the color drops are disks of once-molten plastic, discarded from a Houston industrial casting facility, and now have a second life in this art application. The sculpture’s bright skin and pulp is constructed from wood that was saved from going to the landfill and painted by H-E-B Partners (employees) earlier this year.
ENGAGING FOOD CONVENIENCES
H-E-B is always looking for innovative and convenient ways to enhance our stores with more choices, enabling you to choose how you shop, pay for and receive products. Whether it’s an in-store experience, picking up an online order, home delivery or grabbing a meal on the go – the Buffalo Heights H-E-B has it all.
H-E-B Buffalo Heights will offer the full line of its popular H-E-B Meal Simple heat and eat options. Created with the highest quality ingredients, these family favorites are fresh, convenient, packed with flavor and ready to serve in minutes. With a range of options from grab and go salads to casseroles and entrees, a restaurant quality meal without the high cost of going out is at your fingertips.
H-E-B’s Curbside Pick-Up is a favorite throughout Houston and is designed to save customers time while offering all the products available in-store. Simply create your grocery list, submit your order and pay at heb.com. H-E-B’s personal shoppers will hand pick all grocery selections and deliver to your car curbside at your scheduled pick up time – they’ll even load your car. Prefer home delivery? We have that covered too with
H-E-B Delivery and through partnerships with Favor, Shipt and Instacart. You can also order and ship grocery, drugstore and general merchandise products to 48 states and military bases worldwide through heb.com.
THE LOCAL RESOURCE FOR HEALTHY FOOD CHOICES
The Buffalo Heights H-E-B will serve as a quality living source that supports healthy eating on a budget. The store will feature hundreds of H-E-B Organics options and its H-E-B Select Ingredients, a line consisting of H-E-B brand products that excludes unwanted ingredients like high fructose corn syrup and artificial flavors. Across this expansive store – from local produce to the fresh meat market to the freezer section – shoppers will find more offerings for less, and unsurpassed freshness, quality and variety.
NEW TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD
Expanding the store means expanding the offerings. With more than 50,000 options it may seem like the choices are endless. Highlights include:
- Largest assortment of Texas-made products – We take local seriously and are in constant search of the most flavorful and truly unique products made in the Lone Star State adding more Texas and more taste than ever before to store shelves
- Salad Bar – A 15-foot-long smorgasbord of more than 60 options , variety of nine dressings and 28 different topicals/oils to finish off a salad and take home in an eco-friendly craft container. Breakfast is served all day starting at 6 a.m. with all other items set and freshened daily 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Prime Case Butcher Shop offering USDA Prime, Natural, and Organic meats, 21-day dry age beef or the option for custom age, as well as many fully cooked and kosher selections
- Fully-stocked Healthy Living department with bulk foods including honey, nuts, grains, dried fruits, snack mixes, a wide variety of supplements and more
- A full-service Pharmacy with convenient delivery options including FREE delivery now until the end of 2019
- Full-service Seafood department with fresh fish and seafood, fresh sushi and poke bowls handmade in-store daily by Sushiya
- The Wine and Beer Selection features more than 1,800 bottles of wine (sampling in store!) and 300 beers with an emphasis on Texas craft and hyper local craft (with four kegs on tap to try before you buy!)
- Guests can also seek assistance by the dedicated wine steward on duty for the perfect pairing
- Impressive full-service Scratch Bakery and Tortillería highlights a wide selection of organic and artisan breads baked daily, fresh tortillas, large varieties of decadent desserts, pastries and custom cakes
- H-E-B Blooms! is ready to adorn any size gathering from intimate dinners to family celebrations, remembrances or simply for those just-because moments – with delivery options
- Cooking Connection and the Showtime Kitchen feature live demonstrations and daily samplings using quick and easy recipes that can be replicated at home
- Made in-store palate quenchers, including fresh squeezed juices and freshly made guacamole
- Texas hospitality and knowledgeable service that’s second to none
ADDED PERKS – THE ROASTERY COFFEE KITCHEN
The Washington Avenue coffee scene will enjoy The Roastery Coffee Kitchen, the operation’s fourth location, located at the Buffalo Heights H-E-B. The Roastery has quickly become one of Houston’s favorite coffee and food destinations serving up specialty coffee, including their signature H-town roast and a carefully curated menu. The concept features and serves products developed by the team known as FOUR J – Jonathan Waxman, Jimmy Bradley, Joey Campanaro and Jason Giagrande, the concept’s primary chef and a new Houston resident. Located on the first floor in a corner location, the coffee shop and eatery will feature indoor and outdoor seating and plenty of charm for a friendly visit, informal meeting, or grabbing a cup on the go, along with a chef driven menu. The Roastery is open at H-E-B’s Bellaire Market and The Heights locations in addition to the flagship location at the San Felipe H-E-B. Hours at Buffalo Heights location will be 6:30 a.m. – 8 p.m., Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 8 p.m., Saturday and Sunday.
SPIRIT OF GIVING
H-E-B is passionately committed to its customers beyond the four walls of its stores, weaving an undeniable Spirit of Giving into its business philosophy. In this spirit, H-E-B is proud to present a community gift of $10,000 in honor of the store’s grand opening to Buffalo Bayou Partnership. Responsible for transforming and revitalizing Buffalo Bayou, Houston’s most significant natural resource, Buffalo Bayou Partnership has spearheaded award-winning capital projects, protecting land for future parks, constructing hike and bike trails, and operating comprehensive clean-up and maintenance programs.