The wait is over, Lubbock! H-E-B, the nation’s top-rated grocery retailer, is thrilled to announce it opened its first store in Lubbock on Wednesday, Oct. 28. Located at 4405 114th St., the 122,000-square-foot store will offer residents a world-class shopping destination with a pledge to deliver unsurpassed freshness and quality at H-E-B’s celebrated low prices.
This long-awaited store is part of H-E-B’s continued expansion into West Texas, where it has eight stores. Filled with some of the most modern amenities, innovations and features H-E-B offers, the vibrant location will offer distinctive features such as a Sporting Zone shop, which will be fully stocked with Texas Tech and local high school apparel and accessories; a True Texas BBQ, H-E-B’s lauded barbecue restaurant that was recently named best barbecue chain in Texas by Texas Monthly and a top barbecue chain in the nation by Thrillist; and a fuel station with car wash. H-E-B Lubbock will be open daily from 6 a.m. to midnight.
Additional, store highlights include:
- H-E-B Curbside and Home Delivery, which allows customers to place orders online for pickup at the store or delivery to their home
- True Texas BBQ restaurant with indoor seating, drive-thru and catering options
- H-E-B Pharmacy with two-lane drive-thru service and dietician office offering nutritional services
- Meal Simple department with fresh, convenient chef-inspired meals prepared in store
- Seafood department with fresh fish and seafood, and in-house steamers for steamed seafood upon request and grab-and-go options
- Meat market with Prime, natural, and organic meats, dry-age beef and fully cooked options
- Large beer and wine section with extensive craft beer selection and wine tasting kiosk
- Deli department with expanded cheese selection
- Cooking Connection with live demonstrations and samplings for easy recipes to make at home
- A bakery department featuring handmade artisan breads, cakes and tortilla machine
- Health & Wellness department with bulk food items, sports nutrition products and supplements
- Texas Backyard featuring plants, pottery, grills, and outdoor essentials
- Blooms floral department, offering online ordering and delivery service
To provide a world-class shopping experience, the store will incorporate exciting, digital services that give customers choices on how they shop, pay for and receive their products. This includes H-E-B Curbside and Home Delivery, digital service that allows customers to place orders online for pickup or delivery to their home. The San Antonio-based retailer also will work with Favor, an on-demand delivery service H-E-B acquired in 2018, as an additional convenient option for delivery, including one-hour delivery of beer and wine from H-E-B.
To help capture the look, feel and traditions unique to Lubbock, several H-E-B Partners (employees) who worked on the project, including the lead manager of design, are Texas Tech University graduates. Built with environmental sustainability in mind, the store incorporates several energy efficient inclusions such as CO2 refrigeration units and LED lighting.
As it opens in Lubbock, H-E-B continues to be a dominant economic driver across the state and West Texas. As the largest privately held employer in Texas, the H-E-B Lubbock store will employ nearly 500 Partners, with more than 70 percent hired from the local community. All job opportunities can be found at H-E-B Careers.
“This is the highlight of my career with H-E-B and I’m honored to serve this dynamic community I proudly call home,” said Top Store Leader Garrett Stauder, an 11-year H-E-B Partner and Texas Tech graduate. “Along with our Partners, we are excited to provide the Lubbock community the best H-E-B has to offer, serving the area, both in our world-class stores and our passionate community service.”
Through its Spirit of Giving philosophy, H-E-B is passionately dedicated to its customers beyond its stores. In this spirit, H-E-B will commemorate the store’s grand opening with $50,000 donation to the Ted Phea Boys and Girls Club and a $25,000 gift to the United Way of Lubbock. Additionally, H-E-B will provide thousands of holiday meals to the South Plains Food Bank and other local hunger relief organizations as part of its annual Feast of Sharing, an initiative that serves more than 250,000 meals at 33 diners across Texas and Mexico.
When the store was announced last year, H-E-B committed a trailer load each of cereal and produce to the South Plains Food Bank as well as gifts of $25,000 each to the South Plains Food Bank, Communities in Schools – South Plains, Lubbock Impact, and Raider Red’s Food Pantry.
Also, as part of this project, H-E-B built an additional 13,000-square-feet of retail space on the property, which will be separate from the store. A few tenants include Twin Liquors, Great Clips, Castle Nail Salon and Hibachi Express.