After more than six decades serving the community around South Congress and Oltorf, H-E-B is set to make major upgrades to its longest-standing store in Austin. With fresh improvement plans for the South Congress H-E-B, the retailer is excited to share that it will start moving forward with this landmark project early next year.
In February 2022, demolition of the old store will commence, and H-E-B will open a temporary store located at the adjacent Twin Oaks Shopping Center to serve customers during construction. The temporary store will open one week before construction starts. H-E-B estimates the project will take about two years to complete.
“Our vision has always been to create a store that our customers will be proud of, an iconic location that reflects the personality and vibrancy of the South Congress community,” said Cathy Harm, H-E-B Group Vice President Central Texas. “This store is an important part of this neighborhood, and we hope this new design conveys the deep gratitude we have for our loyal customers who have supported our business for more than 60 years.”
At over 145,000 square feet, the multi-level store will boast three levels in total: two levels for shopping and dining and three levels of above-ground parking with more than 600 spaces. Customers can look forward to all the convenient services, quality products and low prices customers expect from H-E-B. Additionally, the community can enjoy some mouth-watering Texas barbecue with plans for a True Texas BBQ, which was named best barbecue chain in Texas by Texas Monthly. The new store also will feature indoor and outdoor seating for dining and an outdoor stage for live performances.
Other store features will include:
- Curbside and Home Delivery services
- Full-service pharmacy with drive thru
- True Texas BBQ, which was named best barbecue chain in Texas by Texas Monthly
- Indoor and outdoor seating for dining and an outdoor stage for live performances
- Bakery with handmade breads and H-E-B’s famous in-store made, warm tortillas
- Expanded beer and wine selection
- Healthy Living, Pet, and Beauty departments
- H-E-B Flower Bar with seasonal bouquets and arrangements
- H-E-B Meal Simple section with fresh chef-inspired meals prepared in store
- Sushiya sushi made in-store daily
- Cooking Connection with live demonstrations and samplings
- A host of environmental features including plans for rooftop solar panels, smart lighting, abundant natural lighting, and more
- Local art inclusion that celebrates the store’s longtime South Congress roots and today’s vibrant art scene
While the company continues to put the finishing touches on the store’s look and feel, there are several additional amenities that will provide a dynamic, entertaining, and innovative shopping experience that H-E-B’s deserving South Congress customers will be proud of for decades to come.
During operation of the temporary store, the location will offer many of the same quality products and convenient services available to our customers, including Home Delivery and H-E-B Pharmacy services. Curbside pickup will not be available at the temporary store, but area customers will be able to access the service from the nearby Riverside H-E-B plus! store.
The H-E-B located at 2400 S. Congress Avenue originally opened in 1957 at 25,000 square feet. Currently, the store is about 69,000 square feet, and the reimagined store marks the first time this location will be completely rebuilt from the ground-up.
H-E-B remains deeply committed to bringing South Congress customers an iconic store that will offer a world-class shopping experience, and we will continue to provide additional updates as they develop.
Customers looking for more information, including how to contact H-E-B with questions about updates to the new store can contact our Customer Relations team at [email protected] or call 1-800-432-3113.
Media requesting more information can contact Leslie Sweet, H-E-B Director of Public Affairs, or H-E-B Newsroom at [email protected].