H-E-B is excited to announce plans to build a new store in southwest Austin that will eventually replace an existing location less than two miles away in the Oak Hill community. At 90,000 square feet, the new store on U.S. Highway 290 will feature an expansive product assortment and several convenient services customers have come to expect from H-E-B.
To be built on more than 30 acres H-E-B owns at the SE corner of US Highway 290 and FM 1826, the retailer filed preliminary plans for the project earlier this year. Construction is set to start in February 2020 and the store is expected to open late 2020 or early 2021.
“We are excited to answer the call for a new store for the growing community in southwest Austin,” said Leslie Sweet, H-E-B Director of Public Affairs. “With an enhanced in-store experience and the highest standard of service and selection, we tailored the store to serve the needs of our longtime Oak Hill customers that deserve the best we have to offer.”
The existing Oak Hill H-E-B store will close upon the opening of the new store.
Emphasizing conservation efforts, the store’s design will incorporate the look and feel of the surrounding neighborhoods and involve several environmental sustainability elements such as rainwater harvesting, water retention ponds as well as adherence to impervious cover regulations and compliance with all aquifer regulations. Provisions will be put in place for future a solar panel installation, as H-E-B maintains large solar installations across 23 of its Austin-area stores with good success.
With an updated world-class shopping experience, the store will offer fresh, quality food options and innovative services that allow customers to choose how they shop, pay for and receive their products. This includes the addition of a H-E-B Curbside, a digital service the company continues to rollout across Texas, which allow customers to place orders online for pickup at the store.
Along with this exciting new service, customers will find all the signature features and conveniences they expect from H-E-B, with many new and expanded product selections.
Highlights from the store include:
- H-E-B Curbside service allows customers to create a shopping list online and pick up their order at the store
- 24 check stands featuring self-checkout registers for quick customer service
- A large selection of craft and import beers and wines from around the world
- Pharmacy with two-lane drive-thru service
- A meat market offering over 300 feet of natural, quality meats and poultry.
- A fish market with a wide variety of fresh and sustainably caught seafood including wild-caught and farm-raised seafood
- A large selection of Dinner Tonight food offerings including sushi, Cooking Connection, Meal Simple for quick and simple meal planning
- A produce section with expanded organic and Texas-grown selections and a large assortment of fresh-cut, ready-to-serve fruits and vegetables
- An expansive deli serving a variety of meats and cheeses, rotisserie chicken, in-house roasted meats, charcuterie and a Mediterranean olive bar
- A bakery department featuring handmade artisan breads, cakes and Tortillería for fresh tortillas made in-house
- Blooms floral department with certified floral designers
- Texas Backyard showcases outdoor-living furniture, grills, plants and more
In the Austin area, H-E-B has several stores that have undergone or are undergoing renovation such as the East 7th and South Congress stores as well as plans for new locations such as H-E-B Lake Austin on S. Exposition, which is expected to open in 2021.